Did You Know…
1. Most people prefer to stay at home as they age.
2. As we age, we become less physically and mentally able.
Only 1 in 6 people have made the necessary changes to their home to allow for aging at home.
– AOTA, 2011
With proper modifications, equipment, and support, aging at home is realistic.
Why is it encouraged to age in your own home?
1. Familiar faces and routines provide contentedness
2. Home provides levels of control and independence
3. Maintains continuity with the past as the body and mind age
– – WFOT, 2016
How can an Occupational Therapist make your home “age-friendly”?
- Complete home safety assessments specific to your needs
- Fit your bathroom with safety equipment*
- Complete kitchen safety assessments and recommendations
*The equipment recommended is covered by some extended medical plans. Ask your Occupational Therapist for details.*
Other ways an Occupational Therapist can help your family…
- Falls prevention
- Wheelchair, walker, and scooter fitting
- Balance Assessments
- Care giver support
- Driving Screens
- Wandering or behaviour management