What is Ergonomics?
A person’s work environment should be set up to meet the needs of an individual worker. Ergonomics is the science of designing or adapting an individual’s work environment to facilitate the highest level of function possible.
Health problems (physical, mental and emotional) affect the economy in many ways, such as reducing productivity and labour force participation, as well as increasing sickness, employment insurance and costs associated with assistive devices and structural modifications (Uppal, 2009).
Creative Therapy Consultants strive to deliver a culture of promoting healthy workplaces, with focus on early interventions and self-management strategies which build resilience and healthy work environments.
When is an Ergonomic Assessment beneficial?
Ergonomic Assessments may be used in, but are not limited to, the following situations:
- Preventing repetitive strain injury and or diminish repetitive strain symptoms at a worksite
- Facilitating a safe and durable return to work, following injury
- Educating employees and employers on safe and sustainable working practices; the practice of applying ergonomics is relevant in a wide variety of settings, from heavy industrial to sedentary office work
- Supporting clients who require adaptations to their workstations, due to limitations they may have acquired because of injury
- Providing workshops to small and large groups, in order to proactively address work related injury issues (example: back care for healthcare staff)
Who carries out an Ergonomic Assessment?
The Ergonomic Assessment will be administered by Occupational Therapists who have received formal training in ergonomics. Creative Therapy Consultants currently offers Ergonomic Assessment and case management in the following geographical regions (including surrounding rural areas):
- Prince George
- Salmon Arm
- Williams Lake